Monday, January 9, 2012

Norwegian “Medisterkaker” Pork Meatballs

Medisterkaker is traditionally served at Christmas, but growing up we never had this at my home. The reason was that my dad didn’t like them due to their unappealing color. I on the other hand loved them and my mom and I would have them when my dad was at sea. My mom never made them from scratch. She would buy a bag at the store, come home and heat them up in a brown sauce.

When I went off to college I got a teacher who enjoyed teaching how to make traditional Norwegian homecooked foods and one dish she taught me was homemade Medisterkaker. I went home to my parents and made this for them, insisting to my dad that he had to try them. Turned out that the color of homemade ones are rather appealing and he is now a big fan of these.

  • 2 lbs Ground Pork
  • 3 tsp Salt
  • 5 Tbsp Potato Starch
  • 3/4 tsp Pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp Ginger
  • 2 cups of Milk

In your Kitchen Aid (or equal mixer) mix together the Pork and the salt till the pork is very sticky. Blend together the Potato starch and spices and add it to the pork mixing well.

Make sure the milk is the same temperature as the pork and add it a little at the time while mixing making sure it blends well together so it stays well together.

Form round or oblong balls and brown in a medium-hot pan then transfer to a pot with about 3 cups Pork Gravy (made with Pork Gravy Mix) on medium-low heat and let them simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve with potatoes, sauerkraut and soft boiled prunes.

No comments: